New required financial class may mean fewer chances for special electives for FCPS students.
Thursday, May 9, 2013
Sunday, April 28, 2013
Senior's international volunteer work earns kudos from FCPS.
Sunday, April 21, 2013
Karen Garza, who will lead Fairfax County Public Schools, in her own words.
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Seventy-six percent of applicants were from Fairfax County.
Students admitted this year to one of the country's most prestigious high schools — Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax County — wwere predominantly Asian and male, according to statistics released Friday by Fairfax County Public Schools. A total of 480 new students will comprise the class of 2017 at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST). Students residing in Fairfax County, Arlington, Loudoun, and Prince William counties and the City of Falls Church were offered admission to the governor’s school this week, according to a news release from Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS). Of the 3,121 students who applied, 76 percent are from Fairfax County, with the remaining 24 percent …
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
School board asks Fairfax County supervisors for more money Tuesday to deal with growing pains and teacher pay.
Using "Scenario G" estimates, Reston population growth could squeeze schools.
If the Reston Master Plan Task Force uses Scenario G to project future population growth in Reston, South Lakes High School will have close to 3,000 students in it by 2018, a Reston 20/20 blog post says. The Reston Citizens Association advocacy group cites a December Fairfax County Public Schools' memo that uses the assumptions of 82 new single-family homes, 649 townhouses, 3,748 low-rise units and 20,000 high-rise units built in Reston in the next several years. The development is expected to occur in relation to the late 2013 opening of Metro's Silver Line, which is expected to add high-density housing in many spots close to stations at Wiehle-Reston East and Reston Parkway. The memo estimates an impact of 2,914 new students to the South…
Sunday, April 7, 2013
Fairfax County school board to talk with next round of candidates in coming weeks as Superintendent Jack Dale prepares to retire.
Saturday, March 23, 2013
International pilot test could offer new way to measure student knowledge, but whether the program should be expanded in Fairfax, and how, is unclear
When teachers in Fairfax County review results of the state's Standard of Learning tests, they learn whether their students passed or failed in a given subject. But beyond that, some teachers say, they don't have a great sense of what connections students are making or missing, or why. In a presentation to the school board Thursday, officials said a new pilot test given across 10 county high schools — which asked students to draw on prior knowledge and new information to solve problems across disciplines — gave teachers new information about what students actually know rather than what they can recall from their curriculum in any given year, as is often the case with standardized tests like the SOL. With it comes an opportunity to change …
Monday, March 18, 2013
Tuesday's community dialogue asks residents, community groups for their budget priorities.
Have something to say about the Fairfax County Public Schools budget for Fiscal Year 2014? Tuesday is the first chance of several over the next two months to share your perspective. The community dialogue, which begins at 6 p.m. in the Gatehouse Administration Center Cafe in Falls Church, is an effort revamped this year to be more inclusive of all residents — not just specific county groups. School board member Ryan McElveen (At-large) said last year, the school board invited community groups to a similar dialogue, setting them at a roundtable for a budget presentation and then breaking them into two groups tasked with forming a list of budget priorities. This year, the board is inviting specific community groups as well as the community …
Thursday, March 14, 2013
At noon Friday, Patch readers can join a discussion with Fairfax County teachers' association leaders and school officials to discuss what some teachers have called an unsustainable work environment.