According to FCPS, South Lakes High School will be at 97 percent capacity in the 2018-19 school year. Most adjacent high schools are projected to be well over capacity by that time, including Herndon (121 percent), Westfield (105 percent), Oakton (114 percent), Madison (114 percent) and Marshall (108 percent).
Nearby Langley High School is projected to be at 82 percent for 2018-19.
Between September 2012 and 2013, total FCPS membership grew by approximately 3,000 students. Since September 2006, total membership has grown by nearly 20,000 students.
Superintendent Karen Garza said that membership is projected to continue to increase over the 5-year CIP horizon to approximately 199,000 students by school year 2018-19.
"This increase in enrollment has been the result of the economic environment and higher birth rates in the growing ethnic and racial populations within Fairfax County. Growth among Hispanic/Latino, Asian, and Black student populations (in that order) represent the overwhelming majority of growth within FCPS over the past five years," she said. "We project that growth in the primary grades will continue as births remain relatively high and as these younger student cohorts progress through FCPS during the next several school years."
South Lakes currently has a capacity of 2,750 students, and 2013 enrollment was at 2,347.
According to the CIP, the South Lakes expansion will be completed in Fiscal Year 2018, and the total cost will be $14,650,406.
A 2013 bond referendum has funded $803,300 of the costs through FY2016. For FY2017 and FY2018, the costs, which include most construction expenses, are estimated at $13,847,106.
That number is currently unfunded, and will be part of a future referendum.
Herndon High School will also undergo a $97,183,116 renovation that will include capacity enhancements.
The report also includes categorizations of Reston's elementary schools, with strategies for dealing with future growth.
- Dogwood: Potential relief from new Northwest CountyElementary School; potential for boundary adjustments with Terraset and Fox Mill (receiving schools).
- Forest Edge: Potential for boundary adjustment with Lake Anne (sending school).
- Lake Anne: Potential for boundary adjustment with SunriseValley and Forest Edge (receiving schools).
- Sunrise Valley: Renovation with capacity enhancement to be completed in FY 2016; potential boundary adjustment withLake Anne (sending school).
- Terraset: Renovation with capacity enhancement to be completed in FY 2016; potential receiving school for new programs; potential boundary adjustment with Dogwood(sending school).
FOLLOW RESTON PATCH FOR THE LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS!
Facebook | Twitter | Daily & Breaking News E-mail Updates