Madison High senior Harold Hild and Marshall High senior Elizabeth Culbertson are two of 41 Fairfax County Public School students to earn the $2,500 National Merit Scholarship.
Each scholarship winner was evaluated on his or her academic record, including difficulty level of subjects studied and grades earned; scores from two standardized tests; contributions and leadership in school and community activities; an essay describing interests and goals; and a recommendation from a high school official. The number of winners named in a state is in proportion to the state’s percentage of the national total of graduating high school seniors.
All but nine of the students are from Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology.
Hild plans to study international relations next year; Culbertson will likely go into physics-research.
The following students, with their probable career fields in parentheses, won the award:
- Chantelle Tait of Centreville High School (undecided).
- Robert Mason, Jr., of Chantilly High School (computer engineering).
- Aditya Mazmudar of Fairfax High School (medicine).
- Holliday Shuler of Langley High School (anthropology).
- Harold Hild of Madison High School (international relations).
- Elizabeth Culbertson of Marshall High School (physics-research).
- Gabrielle Tate of Oakton High School (electrical engineering).
- Sivasankari Rajamarthandan of Robinson Secondary School (medicine).
- Peter Ahnn of Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) (chemical engineering).
- Reece Anderson of TJHSST (engineering).·
- Skyler Anderson of TJHSST (biomedical engineering).
- Sakethnath Are of TJHSST (mathematics-computer science).
- Matthew Baron of TJHSST (engineering).
- Connor Brinton of TJHSST (bioinformatics).
- Meredith Burkle of TJHSST (marine science-environmental engineering).
- Rachel Chuang of TJHSST (medicine).
- Adrienne Doebrich of TJHSST (physical science).
- Emily Harmon of TJHSST (biology).
- Helen Hastings of TJHSST (computer engineering).
- Rabia Idrees of TJHSST (medicine).
- Yon Jang of TJHSST (materials science-engineering).
- Tushar Kamath of TJHSST (biomedical engineering).
- Priya Krishnan of TJHSST (business management).
- Varun Kumar of TJHSST (engineering).
- Cynthia Li of TJHSST (biology).
- Jonathan Lykins of TJHSST (aerospace engineering).
- Omeed Maghzian of TJHSST (international relations).
- Usnish Majumdar of TJHSST (medicine).
- Govind Mattay of TJHSST (bioengineering).
- Daniel Shanker of TJHSST (mechanical engineering).·
- Alisha Sindhwani of TJHSST (computer science).
- Sameer Singh of TJHSST (medicine).
- Suganya Sridharma of TJHSST (medicine).
- Mary Sun of TJHSST (biomedical engineering-medicine).
- Stefan Van Rafelghem of TJHSST (medicine).
- Michael Wattendorf of TJHSST (mathematics-physics).
- Esther Wang of TJHSST (computer science).
- Glenna Yu of TJHSST (science).
- Patrick Yu of TJHSST (biology).
- Yuqing Zhang of TJHSST (computer science).
- Stacey Zhou of TJHSST (economics).