The following activities in schools and on school grounds are canceled:
- extracurricular activities
- interscholastic contests
- team practices
- field trips
- middle school after-school programs
- professional learning and training courses
- all adult and community education classes
- recreation programs and community use by outside groups not affiliated with FCPS
School Age Child Care (SACC) centers are closed, but offices will be open.The Reston Community Center Early Bird swimming and all classes and workshops for Tuesday, Jan. 7 are canceled. Make-up classes will be scheduled if possible. No refunds will be issued for inclement weather cancellations.
Rental activities are unaffected unless canceled by the rental client. For complete and up-to-date operational status, please call RCC at 703-476-4500.
Fairfax County Park Authority programs, classes and events at park facilities and schools are canceled based on the closing decision of Fairfax County Public Schools. Since schools are closed all day January 7:
- FCPA events, scheduled classes and group fitness drop-in classes held and RECenters or other FCPA facilities are canceled.
- FCPA winter camps/workshops held at RECenters or FCPA facilities are canceled.
- Preschool programs at Lee District and Spring Hill will not operate.
- RECenters will open as scheduled.
- Visit their website for updates.
The National Weather Service has announced a wind chill advisory for Reston until 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 7.
For the evening of Monday, Jan. 6, the forecast is "mostly clear, with a low around 7. Wind chill values as low as -10. Windy, with a northwest wind 24 to 29 mph, with gusts as high as 43 mph."
For Tuesday, "sunny, with a high near 15. Wind chill values as low as -12. Breezy, with a west wind 17 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph."