Reston Association offices, including the Nature House and Central Services Facility, will close at 1 p.m. today.
The Reston Association Design Review Board meeting scheduled for tonight has been canceled.
Paolo's Reston is closed as of 4 p.m.
Reston Sport&Health has cancelled evening classes.
The Greater Reston Arts Center is closed.
Update: 12:08 p.m.
The Fairfax County Government will close at 1 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 21.
The National Weather Service reports that the worst of the storm will be between noon to 2 p.m.
County employees are encouraged to keep the weather conditions in mind and remember that unscheduled leave has already been granted. Employees may leave at any time and use their personal leave prior to 1 p.m. (official county closing time) if they so desire.Original story:
Fairfax County Schools will be closed Tuesday, Jan. 21, as the county and surrounding areas are under a Winter Storm Warning from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
The following activities in schools and on school grounds are canceled:
- extracurricular activities
- interscholastic contests
- team practices
- field trips
- middle school after-school programs
- professional learning and training courses
- all adult and community education classes
- recreation programs and community use by outside groups not affiliated with FCPS
Government and Courts
• Fairfax County Government offices are open, Tuesday Jan. 21, however employees have been granted unscheduled leave. Emergency service personnel should report as scheduled. Learn more about how the county executive decides operating status.
• Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court have not yet made a decision on operating status.
• If you live in the Herndon or Chantilly area that is in Virginia 33rd Senate District, the special election is still on for Tuesday. We advise voting early.
Parks, Community and Recreation and Community Centers
• If you have questions about Park Authority facilities, contact the site directly, call the Parks inclement weather line at 703-324-8661, TTY 711, or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks.
• For Department of Neighborhood and Community Services programs and events visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ncs or call 703-324-4600, TTY 711.
• The Reston Community Center and the McLean Community Center may be affected by the inclement weather. Call RCC at 703-476-4500, TTY 711, www.restoncommunitycenter.com or MCC at 703-790-0123, TTY 711, www.mcleancenter.org for their current operating status.
Transportation: Connector, Fastran
• Fairfax Connector bus service may be affected by the inclement weather. Check the Connector Web page at www.fairfaxconnector.com for the current operating status.
• For information about FASTRAN, call 703-222-9764, press 8; TTY 711, or online at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ncs/fastran.htm.
• Library hours may be affected; call your local branch before visiting. For branch phone numbers, call 703-324-3100 or go to www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library.
• View the public meetings calendar at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/calendar/ShowCalendar.aspx for any potential cancellations of public meetings of Fairfax County Government Boards, Authorities or Commissions.
Snow is expected to start after 10 a.m., continuing throughout the day until around 10 p.m.
Temperatures are expected to drop heading into the evening, with the National Weather Service forecasting Tuesday night to be, "cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 4. Wind chill values as low as -10. North wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible."
Stay tuned to Patch with more information as it becomes available.
FOLLOW RESTON PATCH FOR THE LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS!
Facebook | Twitter | Daily & Breaking News E-mail Updates