Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse fire, Tuesday, November 26, 2013, at approximately 4:20 a.m., in the Reston area of Fairfax County. The residence is located in the 1600 block of Apricot Court.
Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the attic and roof of the two-story home upon arrival. A neighbor in the adjacent townhouse smelled smoke, called 911, and alerted the occupants by pounding on the front door. Both occupants escaped unharmed.
Smoke alarms did not alert the occupants. It took firefighters approximately 30 minutes to bring the fire under control. The fire did extend to the roof of the adjacent townhouse causing moderate damage.
Both occupants have been displaced. Red Cross support was offered but declined by the occupants. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $150,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A faulty “recessed-light” on the top floor of the townhome caused the fire.