Officers working at Fairfax County's Reston District Police Station were briefly evacuated Tuesday night, according to Lucy Caldwell, spokeswoman for the Fairfax County Police Department.
Around 9 p.m. Tuesday, one of the officers from the Reston station smelled smoke, heard a “boom” and investigated, she said.
He saw smoke and smoldering at a transformer box, where electrical work had been done recently as part of the ongoing construction project.
The fire department responded and the station was briefly evacuated. The station ran under a power generator throughout the night.
A new power transformer was installed overnight. There were no injuries and all power at the station was resumed.