.

Townhouse Fire on Summer House Court Caused by Candle in Garage

A fire broke out this afternoon on Summer House Court in Reston.

Firefighters respond to a townhouse fire on Summer House Court in Reston. (Photo via CNN screenshot)
Firefighters respond to a townhouse fire on Summer House Court in Reston. (Photo via CNN screenshot)
UPDATE, Dec. 12: here's how to support the family that was displaced. 

The Fairfax County Fire Department responded to a fire on the 11400 block of Summer House at 1:31 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 10 for a fire that started in the garage of a three-story, middle-unit townhouse.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the garage and first floor living area of the three-story, middle unit townhouse upon arrival. 

They conducted an aggressive fire attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes. 

Firefighters kept the fire in check not allowing it to extend to adjacent units; however, there was extensive damage to the first and second floor, and minor damage to the top floor. 

One adult and two children were home when the fire broke out and escaped unharmed. The occupants have been displaced. Red Cross support was offered but declined by the occupants. 

Smoke alarms did activate inside the home. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $260,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A candle knocked over in the garage caused the fire.


A CNN iReport has video from the blaze. 



FOLLOW RESTON PATCH FOR THE LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS!
Facebook | Twitter | Daily & Breaking News E-mail Updates 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »