.

Fire Officials Say South Lakes Village Center Fire Sparked by Cafesano's Brick Pizza Oven

Damage estimated at $305,000 after Monday's blaze.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue says Monday's fire at South Lakes Village Center was accidentally caused by heat from brick oven igniting combustibles inside and near the hood and exhaust system.

when smoke and flames were seen rising from the roof over Cafesano and at 11130 South Lakes Dr.

Firefighting crews gained access to the ceiling, attic, and then cut into the roof to attack the spreading fire. The incident commander called for a second alarm due to the potential of the fire spreading to other businesses.

It took firefighters approximately 30 minutes to extinguish the fire, Fire and Rescue officials said. Firefighters conducted extensive overhaul operations to ensure there were no hidden hotspots. 

Hour Eyes store sustained major smoke, fire, and water damage, while Cafesano received moderate damage as crews gained access to the fire in the ductwork above the ceiling, fire officials said in a statement. Both businesses have been closed until further notice. Sprinklers did not activate in Cafesano and there were no injuries, officials said.

Cafesano staff said in an email to customers on Tuesday that "the restaurant suffered considerable damage from the fire and we suspect that it's going to be a couple of weeks before we're able to re-open."

Cafesano's takeout market, also located in the South Lakes Village Center, will be open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. for takeout, catering and curbside service until the restaurant reopens.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »