UPDATE: Chemical Spill at South Lakes High School Injures Two

A chemical spill occurred at South Lake High School this morning, injuring two.

There was a chemical spill this morning at South Lakes High School, resulted in two injured.
There was a chemical spill this morning at South Lakes High School, resulted in two injured.
UPDATED at 12:45 p.m.

A chemical (UPDATE 2:35 p.m. the Washington Post reports that it was hydrochloric acid) spill in a South Lakes High School classroom has left two people injured, according to the Fairfax County Fire Department. 

At 7:03 a.m., a few ounces of acid spilled, and the fire department said two people were transported to the hospital with non life threatening injuries. 

Fairfax County Public Schools Public Information Officer John Torre told WUSA 9 that the two people injured were staff members. 

South Lakes Principal Kim Retzer released a statement this morning: 

"We had a small, contained chemical spill in one of our classrooms this morning before school started. No students were injured. Fairfax County Fire Department is on the scene. We have closed off two wings of the building and have reassigned those classes impacted to other available spaces. Students who have been delayed in the traffic back-up will be excused this morning."

The section of the spill is still closed, but students are being allowed back into the building. 

We'll keep you updated at the situation develops. 

UPDATE 12:45 p.m.: 

Principal Kim Retzer released the following statement:

"At around 6:45 a.m. today, South Lakes High School experienced a chemical spill in a storage room. We contacted the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, which closed one subschool locker area and adjacent classrooms on the 400 level and one hallway of classrooms immediately below. 

Classroom assignments were shifted as a result. Two staff members were transported to the hospital as a precautionary measure.   

South Lakes High continued to operate classes while this incident was occurring.  Students did remain in their second period classes and did not transition to Seahawk Seminar. 

At approximately 9:45 we received the okay from FCFRD to reopen all parts of the building. All students will transition to their 6th period classes on the regular bell schedule."

John Lovaas December 02, 2013 at 02:10 PM
What was it that "leaked" and how did it happen? Glad to hear that no one was seriously harmed,
Catherine December 02, 2013 at 02:48 PM
Earlier report said hydrochloric acid.
Lisa December 02, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Sounds like prep work for a chemistry class (I remember using HCl in my AP chemistry class years ago)
Ian Litttle December 03, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Although I understand abundance of caution when schools are involved and I am glad no one was seriously hurt but it seems excessive to have the Firemen respond to neutralize HCL. Surely, there are standard practice and procedures for the safe handling of the Chemistry supplies found in a High School lab. I think we should be teaching common sense as well as Chemistry in our schools. How many engine units responded. What was the bill?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »