Fairfax County Fire officials say an attic fan sparked an accidental blaze Monday that caused extensive damage to a Reston home.
Firefighters were called to the single family home at 9840 Coral Bells Dr. about 4:45 p.m. Monday.
The found heavy smoke and fire coming from the roof of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 20 minutes, officials aid. They were able to contain the fire to the attic and roof; however, there was significant water and smoke damage throughout the home.
A woman was home when the fire broke out and escaped unharmed after a neighbor knocked on her front door and alerted her to the fire, officials said. According to the occupant, the smoke alarm did not activate. The fire originated in the attic above the smoke alarm.
The FCFD says damage is estimated at $300,000.