.

Letter: Legislators Need To Remember Needy

Cutting state funds to pay for transportation is going to make life for low-income residents even tougher.


The recession may be over, but the reality for too many families we serve is they have to make tough choices: do I buy groceries or pay rent? Do I care for sick child or go to work? Do I buy gas or school supplies?

These are questions that the Virginia General Assembly must take into consideration as they reconcile the budget.  Now is not the time to cut funds from programs that are helping neighbors in need who are struggling become self-sufficient.  That was the message that I, along with a group of 50 other leaders from Nonprofit Virginia, delivered to the General Assembly in Richmond recently. 

Unfortunately, if the Virginia Legislature cuts funds that support our core services and diverts sales taxes to fund transportation, the choices will become even more desperate for the 58,000 Fairfax County residents living in poverty who are productive, contributing citizens that just need a little help to stay stable. 

Nearly 60 percent of the cuts in the Governor's budget affect those who are low-income at time when the region is already reeling from the great recession.  As we all know, a neighbor's problems have a way of becoming a community's problem.  So if these cuts occur, rest assured that the long-term ramifications for all of us will be significant.

 

Amanda Andere

Executive Director, FACETS, a nonprofit serving those suffering the effects of poverty in Fairfax County

Kerrie Wilson,CEO, Reston Interfaith, a nonprofit helping people build more stable lives by connecting them to vital resources that solve their needs for housing, childcare, food or financial assistance.

 

.

keith mahone February 23, 2012 at 08:07 PM
The solution is simple. Get rid of the 30 million illegal alien ENEMIES and their fake "American" kids (born here during their hostile smash-and-grab invasion). Immediately poor and middle class AMERICAN incomes will skyrocket and the wealthy will have to bargain fairly with their own neighbors. (Imagine that economic "catastrophe" for them.) Or we could keep throwing the gasoline of cultural Marxism on the crony "Capitalism" fire. Keith Mahone, Annandale
Uncle Smartypants February 23, 2012 at 09:06 PM
As opposed to the warm and friendly smash-and-grab invasion of our forefathers from Europe? Doesn't that make you I fake Americans? P.S. Did you know "Mahone" means "my ass" in gaelic? It's true! Pogue Mahone!
Tammi Petrine February 27, 2012 at 06:05 PM
OMG, Keith, if you believe that the wealthy 1% is going to ever deal "fairly" with their own neighbors (who are other 1%'ers by the way but I assume you meant the other 99%), you are sadly mistaken. You don't usually get to be a 1%'er by being "fair." That's the big joke. Re: the "illegal alien EMEMIES", my grandparents were not native Americans so I too am an illegal alien EMEMY. Thank heaven they immigrated AFTER the slaughter of the American Indian and the travesty of forced immigration of the African slaves. I would hate to have either of those atrocities on my conscience. My heart goes out to those who come to this country to find a better life for their families. There is NO easy answer to this issue. A little compassion goes a long way. But by accident of birth, you could easily be in their shoes and then how would you feel?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something