As a counterweight to Black Friday, a day for doorbuster deals at the big box stores, American Express is sponsoring Small Business Saturday, a day to check out local retailers' offerings.
Want to take the pledge to shop small on Nov. 26? Click here for more information and to see what businesses in and near Reston are taking part.
Economist and author Michael Shuman, the keynote speaker at, says supporting local merchants saves jobs, reduces the carbon footprint, supports the local economy and is one of the key's for a sustainable community.
"Locally owned businesses contribute to economic well being," Shuman said, citing a study that shows $100 spent at a large chain store put $13 back into the local economy. The same amount spent at a locally-owned store put $45 back into the local economy, he said.
Here are some of our favorite area small businesses. Click on their names for a link to more information such as address and store hours. And add your own pick in the comments.
- This new store at Lake Anne Plaza offers great gifts for new parents at a wide variety of prices.
- Everyone on your list would love a cupcake.
- Nothing says sustainability more than recycling.
- Buying local, very local, at Lake Anne. The craft market is running through Dec. 3, and about a dozen farmers are relocating to the plaza even though the official farmers market closed for the season in October.
- This store at Reston Town Center sells artisan jewelry, housewares and other gift items.
and These two locally owned wine shops, located at Reston Town Center and North Point, respectively, can recommend a great bottle.
- This locally owned day spa at Plaza America has many gift packages (including skin services and massage) from which to choose.
- Runners, swimmers and triathletes are fans of this store at South Lakes Village Center.
Aspen Jewelry Designs - This store at the Herndon Clocktower can design a custom piece or help you find the perfect gift from a wide price range in their stock.
- This Reston Town Center shop is a good place to pick up something sparkly.
- This locally-owned gift store has items you won't find anywhere else, especially monogrammed baby items, exquisite stationary and great hostess and teacher gifts.