As the holiday movie season gears up, local movie fans will be able to watch a film on an IMAX-sized screen, right here in Reston.
The new, 2,000-square-foot screen is the centerpiece of the redesign of the Bow Tie Cinema at Reston Town Center.
Bow Tie Cinemas of Connecticut bought the theater from Rave Cinema in the spring of 2011. After a series of minor renovations later that year, Bow Tie began a large scale construction project in the theater. Everything will be complete by Thanksgiving weekend, says the company.
“The four horrible auditoriums – they’re gone,” says Joseph Masher, Bow Tie’s chief operating officer. Masher was referring to the four small auditoriums in the theater, where the theater’s previous management often showed films that were slightly past their prime.
In their place, and throughout the building, are 11 reconstructed and refurbished auditoriums, all with stadium seating, digital projection and 3D capability. And there is what Bow Tie calls the “BTX” – short for Bow Tie Extreme – an IMAX –sized screen with 30,000 watts of sound. Bow Tie will generally reserve this theater for films - such as the new James Bond movie, Skyfall - that are expected to be blockbusters.
“After Skyfall, we’ll be showing the final Twilight movie and then Life of Pi,” in the BTX theater, Masher says.
Some other highlights:
- A bar on the upper floor. The company is currently awaiting a license to sell beer and wine.
- Expanded and upgraded concession stands and cafes. The theater now sells casual dining hot foods, such as hamburger sliders, chicken tenders and pizza.
- Fully renovated and upgraded restrooms.
- A party room with large table, chairs and a small kitchen area.
- Renovated décor throughout the building.
- An upstairs outdoor patio to open next spring.
Besides its regular slate of first-run movies, Bow Tie offers a series of specials on various days and evenings. They include “Retro Classics,” such as Fast Times at Ridgemont High, a Shakespeare festival, “Bow Tie Rocks,” featuring famous filmed performances such as The Doors Live At the Hollywood Bowl, and a holiday film festival. Check the theater’s website for specific dates and times.