The pathway is scheduled to reopen in March or April of 2015. Terraset is located at 11411 Ridge Heights Road.
The school will be gating the pathway on the west side of the building in the wooded area. The gate will be locked during school hours (9 a.m.-4 p.m.).
Signage will be placed at the first pathway intersection explaining the closures.
Fairfax County Public Schools will install detour signs guiding pathway users around the east-side construction area for after-school hours and on weekends.
The renovation of Terraset was approved by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors in January 2013. It is designed to add another 20 years to the life of the school, which was built in 1977, and will allow it to accomodate up to 800 students.
It will include:
- All new windows throughout the building
- New and additional bathrooms, including adult bathrooms
- Existing “Pyramid” on the roof will be removed and replaced with a “Cube” that brings in more light and access to an outdoor learning area
- The existing bridges from the parking lot will be removed and replaced with a single new bridge that brings pedestrians into the new “cube” and down a staircase/elevator into the new “lobby” area.
- A new media center, art center and playground
- Parking will be effectively doubled; existing parking lot will be expanded toward Ridge Heights and the “kiss & ride” will be relocated to the perimeter of the parking lot (closest to the school and new bridge)
More information about the renovation can be found here.
FOLLOW RESTON PATCH FOR THE LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS!
Facebook | Twitter | Daily & Breaking News E-mail Updates