If Sandy Calls, Keep These Numbers Handy

Jurisdictions also posting updates via social media as Hurricane Sandy approaches.

As the East Coast Vienna residents should keep these numbers, websites and pages on hand during and after the storm.


Follow Reston Patch on Facebook, and on Twitter using this link. 

Get updates from towns across Northern Virginia with Patch's Northern Virginia Hurricane Page on Facebook.


For residents who may need to report downed trees, please call the Reston Association main number (703-435-6530) or e-mail Central Services at CSFstaff@reston.org. RA has begun preparations for the storm, including monitoring the lakes, and will keep members advised via www.reston.org, social media and other outlets.



Sign up for Fairfax County Emergency Alerts  via email or text

Fairfax County also has a new emergency information blog.


Follow the county on Facebook, or on Twitter using this link.

Phone numbers

Downed Trees: For more information on tree removal services after the storm

Adjacent to Public Roads

  • Contact Virginia Department of Transportation at 1-800-FOR-ROAD, TTY 711.

On County Parkland

  • Contact Fairfax County Park Authority at 703-324-8594, TTY 703-324-3988.

Posing Hazard to Public Areas

  • Contact Fairfax County Urban Forestry at 703-324-1770, TTY 703-324-1877.

Private Property

  • Removal is the property owner's responsibility. Be aware of the risk of chain saw injury during tree removal. Use a chain saw safely to clear debris.

Non-emergency information

The Fairfax County Non-Emergency number (703-691-2131) should be used for non-emergency or routine public safety request for assistance. However, if you have an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.


  • Fairfax Water at 703-698-5800, TTY 703-698-7025. After hours, call 703-698-5613, TTY 711


  • Rising water that threatens your safety, call 9-1-1
  • Storm flooding during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.), call 703-877-2800, TTY 711
  • For after-hours storm flooding emergencies that are not life threatening, call 703-323-1211, TTY 703-239-8498, and state that you are reporting a storm sewer emergency
  • For sanitary sewer flooding, call 703-323-1211, TTY 703-239-8498
  • If you have damp walls or floors, contact a water removal or restoration company

Sewer Breaks or Back-ups

  • Call the Department of Public Works and Environmental Services at 703-323-1211 or 703-250-2003, TTY 703-239-8489

Septic System

Phone, Cable, and Internet Service

  • Cox Cable, Phone, and Internet: Call 703-378-8422 or visit their website.
  • Comcast: Report outages to 800-266-2278 or visit www.comcast.com
  • Verizon Phone and Internet: Call 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966) or visit their website.
  • Direct TV: Call 1-800-531-5000  or visit their website.
  • Dish Network: Call 1-800-333-3474 or visit their website.
Liz October 28, 2012 at 01:47 PM
Thanks for compiling this info - I've saved it to the cloud so I can access from my phone.
Keith A. October 28, 2012 at 02:12 PM
Luxstar1 October 28, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Since power outages are inevitable having a long run time flashlight is a good idea. Lowes has a 65 hour run time flashlight for under $5.00 http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Flashlight-Mod-Increases-Run-Time-36X/?allstep I got mine in store. I also got one at Target. More: http://armageddononline.org/forums/threads/34318-Cheap-long-run-time-flashlights Or go micro solar for under $50.00. http://www.instructables.com/id/Uses-For-Dead-Car-Batteries-And-Sealed-Lead-Acid-B/?allstep Emergency Led Lighting Made Ridiculously Simple: http://www.instructables.com/id/Emergency-Led-Lighting-Made-Ridiculously-Simple/?allstep
Stella McEnearny October 28, 2012 at 05:11 PM
You're fabulous! All we have to do is print out this sheet - well done!!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »